19.10.11

History of Your Life in 4 Objects // Early Teenage


 My second object to represent my early teenage years is a pair of glasses.


Losing my sight was quite a shock; it happened very quickly over a short space of time. At first I found it a bit harder to see the whiteboard in class. By the following week, the once sharp figures on the television set had turned into hazy blocks of colour. I went for an eye test and was told I would need to wear glasses constantly to be able to see again. 

This object was very important during my early teenage years as it gave me my sight back. It also changed my appearance; I used to hate how I looked, I longed for contact lenses. At the time, glasses weren't seen as fashionable (cue the line "Should have gone to Specsavers"...I did?) Nowadays, "geek chic" is fashionable and many people choose to wear vintage style frames (inspired by bygone eras). People who don't even need to wear glasses for their sight buy clear lens frames from clothing brands such as American Apparel in order to achieve this look.

  
I hope this object will continue to be seen as something desirable in the future instead of something that is a hindrance to a spectacle wearer. Contact lenses/ laser eye surgery are increasingly accessible, erasing the need for glasses. It could be said that they are becoming a luxury, an accessory that can be used to dramatically update someone's appearance/achieve a certain look e.g. vintage geek chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment