18.10.11

Fashion // Hepworth & Rothschild Inspired 2D Piece

During my second taster session in Fashion, I compiled a collage of different colour schemes based on two colours, red and green, in my sketchbook.  I used magazine cuttings of colours to see which different shades would work together before making a larger piece.  This piece also incorporated images and objects we had collected based on the two colours e.g. green cd case and strip of cardboard and a red sketchbook page painted red.  

I would have liked to have done more on this piece as I don't think it looks as good as it could have; I think it needed more objects and shades of colour placing on it because it looks quite plain.  However, I was running out of time in the lesson and needed to move onto making the bigger piece.


I worked with my friend to produce the piece in the photo below.  After looking at each other's set of 4 collages, it was clear we were both interested in the graphic, angular work of Eva Rothschild (in particular, her linear sculptures "Sweet Valley" and "Stairways").  Curved, circular shapes within the collage were inspired by Barbara Hepworth sculptures we had seen on our visit to "The Hepworth" gallery.  

We used objects we had collected within the piece (bag handle, cardboard packaging etc.) and stuck them alongside paint, different coloured tapes and magazine cuttings.  Colour was the most important aspect in our work; we decided to go for vibrant shades to imitate the bright colours we had seen in Eva Rothschild's sculptures.




After we had made the 2D piece, we fashioned it into a wearable piece which Libby modelled while I took photographs.  I really like the way the lines on the 2D piece are reflected in the sharp angles of the 3D piece.  My favourite photo is on the far right of the photo strip below; I love the way the curved dent in the shoulder makes the piece look like a smooth, stone sculpture of a bodice.
  
You can view the full set of photos on my flickr page: 


No comments:

Post a Comment