11.11.11

Communication Design // 4 Postcards

My brief was to design four A5 postcards which would communicate my interpretation of a word; the word given to me was "repeat".  The first step was to brainstorm ideas for the word to help me decide what the main theme would be for my 4 postcards; I decided to focus on daily routine that is repeated every day, in particular "working 9-5".


I experimented with the word "repeat" itself and looked at ways I could show repetitiveness with symbols to make a pattern.  Linking with the theme of working 9-5, I made a pattern of the London Underground logo to symbolise commuting.  The magazine cutting of a row of bags from a workwear section of a fashion magazine influenced the illustration of one of my postcards.

Our postcards could feature one accent colour so I chose red; I associate this colour with urgency (the rush to get to work of time) and glamour (applying make up to look presentable).  I arranged magazine cuttings of different shades of red next to each other to see which ones worked together and would be suitable for use in my postcard's colour scheme.  
   

I used photocopies of the inside of an envelope as a backing paper for a magazine clipping on one postcard and a complete background on another postcard; the pattern was repetitive and the object was related to work and daily routine.  I repeated the word "work" on a thin strip on the bottom right postcard to emphasise the repeated routine and form a visual pattern; the "9-5" postcard has a similar effect.  The magazine cutting of a glamorous woman applying lipstick corresponds with the feminine polka dot repeat pattern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment