21.10.11

History of Your Life in 4 Objects // Present


My final object to represent the present is a watch given to me by my parents for my 18th birthday.

When you turn 18, it is an important age because you are no longer classed as a child.  My parents wanted to get me something meaningful and long lasting to remind me of this birthday, so they bought me a watch.  I chose which watch I wanted, so it wasn't a surprise gift, but I am glad I did because my parents' tastes are different to mine.   

The watch is designed by the luxury brand Gucci and it was manufactured in La Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland.  Below are some pictures of the factory I believe the watch was assembled in; you can see the sign "Gucci Group Watches" in the second photo.  Gucci watches are sold in the brand's stores and through other jewellery brands; mine was bought from Beaverbrooks. 

A watch is important because it enables us to know the time.  It is constantly looked at by the wearer so they know the time and it is seen by others as a fashion accessory.  In the future, I would like to work within the fashion industry as a designer so I will need to know the time so I can be punctual.  The fact that the watch is made by Gucci is a reminder of the fashion industry and the possibility that I might work for a company like theirs in the future if I work hard enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment