19.9.11

Suspended Objects // Composition


After concentrating on drawing just one suspended object the week before, we moved onto drawing many suspended objects to make us show more consideration for scale and composition.

Stage One // Outline: I added the basic shadows and outlines of the suspended objects onto a white painted background using ink.
Stage Two // Tone & Texture: Next, I worked more into the shadows to emphasise light and dark areas.  I also added texture by scratching ink into the shadows using ink and sticks.
Stage Three // Finishing Touches: I added more detail into the basic outlines that was lost while I'd worked into the paint to increase tone during stage two.

I repeated the process on a second piece I produced during the afternoon. Instead of using white paint as a base, I filled in the negative space using different papers. This was more time consuming and fiddly as the paper had to be ripped more precisely to form the correct negative space. However, it was worth the effort because the objects have a stronger presence in the foreground than the objects in the white painted piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment