28.9.11

Observational Photography // Chesterfield




While I was looking around Chesterfield, I tried to look for how people related to the surroundings. I liked the way the woman was dressed professionally as though she would work in a place like a bank and was stood next to a bank advertisment. In that way she kind of relates to the surroundings, but then you realise she's stood at a grubby bus stop with a "dirty beats" nightclub poster to the left and fast food advertistment to the right. 
  






There is a similar relationship between the old man and the flower stall; in a way, he looks quite nostaligic, smoking a cigarette outside a coffee shop and enjoying the weather and blooms around him. But then you imagine the contrast between the beautiful scent of the flower stall and his cigarette smoke and realise him and his surroundings don't relate harmoniously.
 


As I was walking past a takeaway in the town centre, I noticed panels down the sides of the shop front with garish photos of fast food.  I liked the contrast between the grubby drain and pavement and brightly coloured pop bottle images at the bottom of one of the panels; when I was stood looking down on them, it looked like they were sitting on the pavement like discarded alcohol bottles. 












No comments:

Post a Comment